Monday, December 12, 2011

Getting Started on My Gingerbread Mansion

I got a 1/144 scale gingerbread mansion kit from my boyfriend for my birthday and I'm excited to be able to finally start on it after a week of studying for my exams!

As I laid all of my pieces out to make sure I have everything, I came to realization of how tiny 1/144 scale is. All the pieces are so tiny and fragile, it makes me very nervous to even hold them. I'm also surprised of how clean and detailed the pieces are. Laser-cut is amazing. Check out these stairs! Aren't they cute?

Teeny stairs!

I decided to go with this color scheme: Pink, white, teal, and light sea green. My house is going to be girly and pretty in pink : )


I started painting the gingerbread pieces and some of the windows while they were still in the sheets. It doesn't look like I've got much done, but painting this much took me couple of hours! The process is very tedious because they're so many small nooks and crannies to be painted. Plus, I was being extra careful not to mess up. I should probably invest in a magnifying visor to help me see better because hours of me hunched over my desk and staring at the small pieces gave me a sore back and strained eyes. Ouch ouch.


By my next post, I'm hoping to finish the painting and start assembling the staircase! Woohoo! 

Next to a quarter just to give you an idea of how small it is!

AND totally changing the subject: we got our tree. Smaller this year, but it's perfect. Our whole house smells like christmas tree, which I LOVE!

We also got our xmas tree this weekend!


4 comments:

  1. WOW! those are some small stairs! I have some 1/144 pieces as miniatures for my miniature mini room (if that makes sense?) I am afraid to take them out of the package until I am ready to place them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Love the colors you have chosen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Audra: Yea i know what you mean , 1/144 scale house can be a dollhouse for a 1/12 dollhouse!
    @Lori: Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. doesn't mom still have baachan's magnifying visor? ask her for it! xo

    ReplyDelete