Monday, September 19, 2011

I Love Cornbread!

Sweet and savory cornbread, my favorite! I love it so much I can eat it anytime of the day. My perfect cornbread has to be moist, but still crumbly with great cornmeal texture. I found a great recipe that makes you not want to buy the boxed mix or the ready-made varieties anymore!

mmm...cornbread.

Cornbread
from Allrecipes.com
  • 1/2 C. butter
  • 2/3 C. sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 C. buttermilk or *curdled milk (see below)
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 C. cornmeal
  • 1 C. flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 375 F and grease a 9 inch cake pan.

Melt butter in a large bowl and stir in the sugar. Add eggs one at a time and add buttermilk. I never have buttermilk on hand and I don't like to buy a carton when I'm only using a little bit for one recipe. Instead I use buttermilk substitute which is: *1 T of vinegar + 1 C. milk and wait for the milk to curdle without mixing it.

In another bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking soda. Combing dry to wet ingredients and pour the batter into the pan.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cake test comes out clean.


Enjoy and happy baking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment